Sons of Ben Board of Elders Policy
1. The Sons of Ben are run by the Board of Elders, who act as board members and officers of the organization. Board members are unpaid volunteers and owe the Sons of Ben all of the legal duties and responsibilities of board members of a nonprofit organization.
2. As of 2012, new Board members have traditionally been chosen and approved by vote of the existing Board. Going forward, the Board will implement elections of the membership to choose Board members. The Board's goal is to hold elections to the Board of Elders in the fall of 2013.
3. Going forward, the goal is to have each Board position filled by two people, with each serving an overlapping two-year term. Under this system, half of the Board will be elected each year, and each position will always have one experienced board member and one person learning the position, ready to take over the next year. The Board or the individual officers may choose whether to act as co-Board members (e.g., co-Travel Directors) or as a Board member and an assistant (e.g., Travel Director and Assistant Travel Director).
4. The current Elder/Officer positions are:
The PRESIDENT and VICE-PRESIDENT coordinate all SoB activities and front office relationships, run SoB meetings, and act as the SoBs' primary liaison with the Union front office.
The TREASURERS manage all financial aspects of the Sons of Ben. This is a highly responsible position, with responsibility for quarterly tax filings, accurate bookkeeping and recordkeeping, budgeting, managing relationships with SoB's outside accountants and financial relationships, and reporting and being responsive to the Board.
The CHIEF CAPOS are responsible for planning and organizing all in-stadium support for home games, including tifo displays, signs and banners, drums and songs.
The TRAVEL DIRECTORS are responsible for organizing road trips to Union games and other out-of-town events, helping individual SoBs who wish to travel to away games, and managing anything that happens outside of PPL Park.
The TAILGATE COORDINATORS plan and execute tailgates at home games, coordinate game day volunteers, manage food and equipment inventory, and work with the Travel Directors and other Board members to provide food for away games and other special events.
The TECHNOLOGY DIRECTORS manage the SoB website; email servers; social networking, and SAAS accounts, and all SoB hardware and software needs.
The COMMUNICATIONS DIRECTORS have primary responsibility for communicating with the SoB membership, by email or otherwise; they also act as the organization's secretary, keeping meeting minutes and records for the Board, keeping the organizational calendar and keeping track of the SoBs' important documents and resources.
The MARKETING DIRECTORS are responsible for managing all of the SoB's commercial relationships, keeping merchandise available, and working with SoB sponsors and partners to make special benefits available to members wherever possible.
The MEMBERSHIP DIRECTORS are responsible for running the annual membership campaign, for promoting SoB membership, and for answering member questions and addressing problems throughout the year.
The CHARITY COORDINATORS are responsible for relationships with the SoB's charity partners and finding new ways to fulfill the SoBs' charitable mission.
5. If a vacancy arises during a Board member's two-year term, the remaining Board members will appoint a replacement if possible. The Board may also remove or replace a Board member for cause and choose at-large Board members to assist the Board as necessary.